Prototype Fugly Jet

Photos of my prototype stages for my own fugly jet foam board airplane.

Specs: (So far!)

Length = 31.5″

Span = 40″ (2×20″ Armin wing panels (Experimental Airlines))

Main airfoil chord = 6″ (actual chord is 7.5″ with1.5″ ailerons)

Wing area = 290 sq. in.

In the mail; a 520W EDF system 64mm EDF with 45A ESC

first step match up the measurements and cut and strip them the same

first step match up the measurements and cut and strip them the same

Real important here to pay attention and make both wing have as close to identical as possible.

another view

another view

 

Both halves have been built up and glued. the spar was used to get them to align correctly.

Both halves have been built up and glued. the spar was used to get them to align correctly.

 

Mated up, and they match!

Mated up, and they match!

 

Bottom side; not quite perfect here but it will be hidden.

Bottom side; not quite perfect here but it will be hidden.

 

The front of the fugly prototype

The front of the fugly prototype

 

Top of the fugly prototype

Top of the fugly prototype

 

Side of the fugly prototype

Side of the fugly prototype

8/10/13

So prototype #2 was made with black foam board from Dollar Tree.

Rear taper was 10″ front taper 7.5″ Conventional tail type. I moved the wing back to 10″ unfortunately Ed’s Fugly Jet has the wing back another inch from that. I should have set it 11″ back. Proto #2 is running tail heavy even though I moved the elevator servo to the back of the wing. The Receiver is also behind the wing. I also made the tail surfaces too large so even more weight to cause it to be tail heavy.

To fix the tail heavy I am going to move the RX and Elevator servos forward and cut down the tail surface sizes. I moved the heavier fan unit forward. But it could be moved even further forward. I used a different fan mounting method than Ed did. I built a 3″ tube 1″ long that slides into the fuselage. I glued that in place to hold the fan duct against. I glued 3 corner pieces into this to seal off the open corners. I built another one to slide in behind the fan around the duct. I glued this one in also. The problem is that you still cannot remove the fan for maintenance or repair. So next time I am going to try securing the rear piece in with a couple of zip ties. Then I can cut the ties to work on the fan unit.

Always, and I mean always secure anything that is in front of that fan unit. I did not secure the 3S 2200ma battery. The fan sucked it back and at 40,000 RPM made short work of the Balance Connector before the wires broke all 5 blades out of the fan. We looked around for quite a time trying to find the balance connector. We finally discovered the 3/32″ and smaller white flakes of plastic that were all that were left of it!

At least the fan unit I chose is inexpensive to find replacement parts for. $3.74 for fan and duct from Hobby King, I bought 4. So I have replaced the connector and am waiting for the replacement fan units to come in. I will have to replace the duct as it is pretty badly scored. That duct can then be used as a mock up for my next ducted fan project.

Dug out the Sony HandyCam with 30GB HDD and 40x optical zoom. All charged up. So when I get the parts in and everything moved it will be time to learn how to post video to YouTube.

Leave a Reply