About my projects

This page is for Info About the Raspberry pi Projects that I am working on. I will try to keep these pages up to date with what is going on for current projects.

5 port RasPi

Adafruit VESA mount modified to secure the hardwired 4 port USB hub.

Modified a Adafruit VESA mount to hold the hardwired USB hub also. Nice solid mounting now. This RasPi has 5 USB ports for use. 1x directly to the RasPi + 4x in the hub. This one is where the server is running for now. This one definitely is “FrankenPi”. It is going to be receiving even more Mods here in the very near future. Next up is using several LM2596 boards to replace the on-board regulators. The 2v5 will be left in place, one will be at 5v, another at 3v3 and the last at 1v8. The 5v is necesssary as none of these are low drop out. I will need to use at least a 8v supply to make it all work. I plan on using a 12V 2A supply. The LM2596′s can put out up to 10 watts. So I will be running the 5v into the hub and the RasPi. The 3v3 and 1v8 will go directly to the RasPi.

8/10/13 update

I made a little power board that has two R-78C dc to dc converters. one is 3v3 and the other 5V. Everything tested out at the right voltages. I soldered the 5V to TP1 and the GND to TP2, then 3v3 to the tab of RG2 and another GND to the GND pin (pin1) of RG2. Nothing happened on the RasPi. The regulators got very hot. I re-soldered everything and the RasPi fired right up. I think I should not have used the second GND.

I also have some DC/DC converters that I may use instead. For that I will build a power board to power the hub and the RasPi.

First attemps at back-powering. The PSU in the picture is powering everything

First attemps at back-powering. The PSU in the picture is powering everything

RasPi #1 has been modified. F3 has been replaced with a 1.1A polyfuse. F2 has been replaced with the 700ma polyfuse that was at F3. F1 is a 500ma polyfuse. This RasPi is currently being back-powered by my 4 port USB hub. In other words the power and Data are in one cable between the RasPi and the USB hub. There is only one PSU and that goes to the Hub. The polyfuses were easy to remove . I used a 15watt soldering iron, I heated both ends of the fuse then lifted up the near side. I then reheated the other side and pulled it from the board. This setup has been operating for about a month with no problems so far.This device is running OpenElec XBMC. My hub had to be modified to back-power the RasPi. It worked properly, i.e. it would not back-power the RasPi.

IMG_0725
Made a step in my project to Integrate a RasPi A Model with a USB Hub as a co-unit. Removed the Dual USB connector from RasPi #1. I hardwired two USB cables directly to the board. The Gray cable has a Mini USB connector to connect to the USB hub. The Black cable is to a Female USB A connector. I did not want to lose a USB port. I now have 4.73V at TP1/TP2 instead of 4.35V. I also removed the 700ma polyfuse from F2 and replaced it with a solid wire jumper.

Update: I removed the mini USB connector altogether. The Hub is now hardwired to RasPi #1. The voltage went up still more (4.92v).

Update #2: these boards now have 1/10th” pin headers in place of the USB ports. This is more robust as I had some issues with wire breakage. You can use an old CD-ROM sound cable (if 4 wires, some were 3) as an easy way to have a connector. or you can use two 4 pin connectors or one 8 pin connector. I use 2 5 pin connectors as I was out of the 4 pin! The pin headers have to fanned out (the board spacing is less then 1/10″)to fit into the RasPi board but then are bent back up straight.

raspi server
RasPi #2 (actually #4 as #2 was sent back for RMA) is the Web Server you are veiwing this page on. It is being powered by a Music Power wall adapter that has a USB port and a 12v charging port. It is using Raspbian with a 240/16 memory configuration and is being used headless. It has a Transcend 8GB class 4 SD card That I was given by a friend. It is in a card paper case my Brother printed out for me. It is sitting right next to my router. It has been configured as a full L.A.M.P. Server, but only the Web is exposed for now.

Lapdock top2
RasPi #3 is attached to my Motorola Atrix Lapdock. It runs Raspbian. It has a 512MB MicroSD card for a boot device and the rootfs resides on a seagat 640GB GoFlex USB HDD. The HDD only has a 22GB partition and a 512MB swap partition. The rest is unallocated at this time. I have a Linksys WUSB54GC WiFi adapter on this Lapdock, that works very well. I use network-manager-gnome to configure the WiFi. These Lapdocks are really the way to go, for working with RasPii.

Update: I have replaced the 256MB model with a 512MB revision 2.0 on the Lapdock

project Clipboard
This is Project:”Clipboard”
A Raspberry Pi mounted to a clipboard with a Adafruit board edge mount kit. A small breadboard and a large breadboard. An easily portable project board for GPIO work. A very handy way to carry out your wiring experiments!

Leave a Reply